NMRA Bulletin Sample Issue
October 2001, Volume 68, No. 2, Issue 728
Details on this Sample Issue include:
Cover photo/story description
A quick reference to the image
and associated story (if included) pertaining to the cover page.
On the Cover:
A narrow gauge speeder and a coal drag converge at the Two Lick Creek
crossing on the standard and narrow gauge Greenbrier & Lost River RR.
Models and photo by Sam Swanson.
Index (Bulletin's "Consist")
The article contents of the issue with brief descriptions.
- 22 The Tiny Railroad That Could
- Bruce Burbank gives us a glimpse of a miniature town,
Dating as far back as the 1920s, that has survived everything from
floods to vandalism to near bankruptcy.
- 26 Sherman Helix, A Tough Grind
- With limited space, and two different railroads tugging his modeling
interest, Ewing Row faced a problem many have faced.
Now he shares with us how he overcame his space restrictions to successfully
model both lines - and still have room for the tools!
- 29 Standards and Recommended Practices
- Service mode for Digital Command Control. All Scales. An update to RP 9.2.3
from the NMRA Technical Department #635 is published here for all members to view and make comments on.
These entries normally appear in every issue with updated information.
- NMRA Staff Street, Email addresses and Phone, FAX numbers
- Voice from the Cab Comments from President Allen Pollock
- Hobbyshop Counter New product announcements
- Library Car Book, video & software announcements
- Library Cart General questions and answers
- Observation Car Thoughts from Terry Bacus Jr., Editor
- Blowing Off Steam Letters to the Editor
- Achievement Program by Pete Moffett, MMR, AP Chairman
- SIG Report by Marlin Blyn MacLaughlin, SIG Program Coordinator
- Traction Action by Bill Everett
- Region Wayfreight Region news and information
- Backshop Chatter by Ron Gaines, Technical Department Chairman
- Modelers Aid Answers to questions specific to modeling
- The Number Cruncher by Job Luning Prak
- Member Aid by Wilmer Seaver, Member Aid Chair
- The O Scaler by G. William Hammer, MMR
- The Kitbasher by Dean Freytag, MMR
- Thumbs by M. Moore
- Library services NMRA library services listed with prices
- Bulletin Board Membership Thermometer, In Memoriam, Honor Roll, Welcome Aboard
- Less Than Carload Special items that do not make up a full collumn.
- Swap Shop Anyone desiring to buy or sell model railroad items
may advertise in the Swap Shop. Classified Rates: 35 cents per word; minimum
charge $5. Closing dates for classified ads only: 75 days prior to month
of issue. Example: January 15 for April issue.
- Club Car List of National, Region, Division, Existing, Newly
forming and Membership Open Club activities plus Museum listings and contact
information. Club car is provided as a service to our readers. There is
no charge for an event listing in Club Car. However, listings run on a
space-available basis. Notices must arrive 90 days in advance of the first
issue in which you wish them to appear. For example, the deadline for the
April issue is January 1. NMRA activities have priority. New club notices
and membership open run for a year.
- Advertiser Index An alphabetized list of advertisers in this issue.
- Time Frames Selected photos from the Kalmbach Memorial Library collection.
- Retailer listing The NMRA National Retailers Listing is a listing
of hobby retailers around the country who have joined the NMRA at a special
Sustaining Membership rate of $100 and have agreed to display NMRA promotional
material in their store. In addition, these stores maintain the following
policy: To exchange, repair, or refund the money of a person who purchases
a model railroad item or items which is determined to be defective by no
fault of the purchaser. (Proof of purchase at that store required.)
The members of the NMRA National Retailers Network will display the emblem
shown here on their door to identify themselves to you.
The NMRA recognizes the need to help maintain a strong retail network,
to keep our hobby visible daily to the public. Many new model railroaders
get their start by walking into a hobby shop and getting the necessary
help to get started from our retailers. We at the NMRA want to help the
retailers continue to stay in business, and continue this valuable hobby
promotion work. The best way we can do that is by patronizing the stores
listed in this listing.
A list of advertisers in this issue.
Note that any hyperlinks from this section are not approved by the
NMRA leadership and the NMRA is not responsible for the contents of these
web sites (unless the link is to another NMRA web site such as the
Kalmbach Library). Use the "Back" function of your browser to
return to this NMRA web site.
When you call or write, let these advertisers know you saw them on the Web!
- A -
- Accurail Rolling stock and coupler products
- After Hours Graphics Custom Decals in different scales, typestyles and colors
- A. J. Fricko Co. Pinhole Lens for 35mm SLR cameras
- Allied Model Trains Train Store with discounts for NMRA Convention Badge holders
- AMI Roadbed N thru O scale adhesive roadbed material
- Amtrak USA standard and regional passenger services
- Aristo-Craft Trains by Polk's Model Craft Hobbies Inc.; Large scale trains and accessories
- Atlas Model Railroad Company Model track, trains and electronics
- A-West Weathering / Antiquing solutions
- B -
- Bachmann Industries Manufacturer of train sets and parts
- BC Junction Embroidered Railroad Apparel
- Benchmark Publications publishers of the Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette
- Black Bear Construction Trestle Kits
- Blair Line Signs Railroad and Highway signs
- C -
- Caboose Hobbies Mail Order model train store
- Centerline Products Rail cleaners
- Challenger Imports Brass locomotives
- Con-Cor International Model trains and structures
- Corona Flex S-Gauge 'Felx Track' and joiners
- D -
- Design Preservation Models Structure kits
- Digi RR Enterprises DCC systems and accessories
- Digitrax Manufacturer of NMRA DCC compliant command stations and decoders
- Donald B. Manlick Custom Decals for HO, N, O & S Scales
- E -
- E & C Shops N and HO scale locomotives
- Ertl Collectibles HO building kits from pre-decorated to craftsman
- Express Station Hobbies HO and N scale train distributor
- F -
- F & H Enterprises Peco products and mounting system for Peco switch machine, Silver City People and Animals (N Scale)
- G -
- Gandy Dancer Productions Railfan and Model Railroad Video store
- GarGraves Trackage Corp. O-Gauge Hi-Rail flex track and switches
- Gloorcraft Models Structure & Rolling Stock kits and Detail parts
- H -
- Highball Products Limestone ballast
- H & R Trains Train Store
- I -
- InterMountain Railway Co. HO, N cars, HO Magnetic couplers and other detail parts
- International Hobby Corp. Premier Series Semi-Streamlined Pacifics
- J -
- Jane's Trains Tree kits for all seasons and scales
- Jay-Bee Wheelsets with and without built-in resistors for train detection
- Jelsma Graphics Railroad Art Distributor
- JETS American Flyer Collectable Trains
- K -
- Kadee Quality Products Model Railroad couplers and trucks
- The A. C. Kalmbach Memorial Library AT&SF Timetables, Stephans' Railroad Directories, Surplus book list, Vol. 4 Symposium on Railroad History
- Kansas Junction Speed-O-Meter: Battery operated digital scale speedometer
- Kato HO and N scale trains and track
- L -
- The Lake Junction 1997 NMRA National Convention; Madison, Wisconsin; July 28 - August 2
- Lenz Elektronik GmbH NMRA DCC-conforming systems, decoders, and accessories
- Life-Like HO and N Scale locomotives, rolling stock and other hobby supplies
- Long's Model Railroad Supply outlet
- Loy's Toys DCC electronics distributor and information
- M -
- Mantua Collectibles "Limited Edition" run of the B&O President Adams
- Microscale Industries, Inc. MicroScale: Decals for models in HO, N, O & G
- Micro-Trains Line Co. N, Nn3, Z trains, coupler systems, and supplies
- Modular Layout Systems Module Kits
- N -
- NMRA Membership Application
- NMRA Official Railway Equipment Register (ORER)
- O -
- Out West Lumber Loads HO/N Craftsman kits
- Overland Models HO Brass imports
- P -
- Plane Loco for Hobbies HO Scale quality products
- R -
- Rail Graphics Custom Decals for all scales
- Railway & Locomotive Historical Society
- S -
- Signs Galore Custom and Ready-made Graphics and windows for DPM and Walthers kits
- Small Scale Railway Co. Prototype Sound Unit fits N through G scale
- Sogolee (Canada) Corporation Complete airbrush outfit
- Solder-It Co. Low-temperature soldering kit and supplies
- Special Shapes Co. Producer and supplier of brass shapes (bar, rod, tube, strip, sheet, etc.)
- Sydney Convention NMRA Australasian Region; June 7th - 9th, 1997
- T -
- Tony's Train Xchange DCC systems, trade-ins and service
- The Train Connection Command Control systems
- W -
- Wangrow Electronics DCC-conforming command stations and decoders
- Woodland Scenics Terrain and Landscape modeling supplies and information
General publication information and postal update notice.
The NMRA Bulletin (USPS 370-260, ISSN 0027-9722) is published
monthly by the National Model Railroad Association, Inc., 4121 Cromwell
Road, Chattanooga, Tenn., 37421.
When you call or write, let us know you saw us on the Web!
Second-class postage paid at Chattanooga, Tenn., and at additional mailing office.
- Dave Cichy Publication Department Chairman
- Terry Bacus Jr. Editor
- Hank Kraichely Advertising Sales Manager
- Editorial offices:
P.O. Box 1
Canal Winchester, Ohio 43110
Ph. (614) 654-1350 Fax: (614) 654-3511
Office hours: 10 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. (ET), M-F
- Advertising offices:
716 Reinke Road
Ballwin, MO 63021
Ph.: (888) NMRA YES (667-2937)
Fax: (888) NMRA FAX (667-2329)
- When you call or write, let us know you saw us on the Web!
Page last updated March 20, 2002
Copyright (c) 1995-2002 National Model Railroad Association. All Rights Reserved.
This page is written by: John D. Balogh, JDB@psu.edu
This page is maintained and hosted by: John D. Balogh, JDB@psu.edu